Summer of Sloane ARC Review


Summer of Sloane by Erin L. Schneider
5 Stars
I am so incredibly happy that I was able to read this book early. Thank you so, so much to NetGalley and the publisher for "granting my wish". Summer of Sloane is a novel about friendship, betrayal, forgiveness, and finding yourself. I'm not going to say what, but a huge bomb was dropped right on the first page. WHAT?! I wasn't sure where it was going to go, but I needed to find out. 

The characters all felt very real and relatable in a sense and I found that quite refreshing. I will say I found myself very angry at Mick throughout the whole novel. The actions of this character just rubbed me the wrong way, but also it felt like that was intentional so it's not a bad thing. My favorite character had to be Finn. He was charming and funny, he just pulled me in from the very start. As I got to know more about him, I loved him even more. A book from his perspective would be welcomed with open arms. *wink wink* Or even just a sequel. I need more. Sloane is a very independent yet confused girl who clearly needs time to discover who she is and what she wants. I think that's one of the most enjoyable parts. I loved her thought process and how although her mind thought things were very black and white, her heart saw things as grey. I could go on forever about the wonderful characters in this novel. 

Schneider does a fantastic job at describing the scenery, man I wish I were in Hawaii. I'd like to also address the pool. A small fact is that Sloane has anxiety and she deals with it by building a pool in her mind, drop by drop, piece by piece. As someone who also has anxiety, I found this to be amazing. I have never heard of such a way to deal with it and watching Sloane do it was very calming. I haven't read a lot of books that talk about anxiety in such a real and helpful way. I think it was wonderful that it was included in this book even though it didn't necessarily need to be. Thank you, Erin.

To sum everything up, Sloane is a journey. While it is a fun Summer read, it is also a perfect example of how sometimes all you need is to get away for a little while. That focusing on yourself is not wrong, but also how things can change in a single moment. Sloane takes on a serious side as well. I recommend this to absolutely anyone who loves contemporary and even those who are unsure. For those of you who are interested, Summer of Sloane will be out on May 3, 2016. I do hope you'll get yourself a copy and discuss it with me.
Xoxo,
Gabriella

Also, here are two of the pictures I took of my Sloane bookmark for the event called #SloaneAroundTheWorld. You can see everyone else's photos by looking up the hashtag on both Instagram and Twitter. You also might want to check out Erin's Blog.
                   




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Armchair BEA 2017 Day Two

2021 Part One Wrap-Up

Debut Author Bash 2017: Kate Hart