Phantom Limbs ARC Review

Phantom Limbs by Paula Garner
5 Stars

Wow. I'm not quite sure where to start with this one. How about here, with a piece of the synopsis.
How do you move on after an irreplaceable loss? In a poignant debut, a sixteen-year-old boy must learn how to swim against an undercurrent of grief --- or be swept away by it.
Because of this very brief description, as well as the larger bit of it, I went in thinking that this whole book was going to be about grief and make me sad. Let's say I was half right. 

I fell in love with Paula Garner on page 2 when she casually had our main character drop the f-bomb. Maybe it's just me, but I found that ballsy for a debut. The way she depicts everything going through Otis' head seemed oh so very authentic to me. He cussed, fantasized, was insecure, got jealous, was a dick at times, etc. I really enjoyed seeing everything from his perspective, but let's talk about Dara. To outsiders she may seem like a complete bitch and/or a freak, or some may even take pity. Dara has layers, most of which only Otis has been able to see. The friendship between these two and how much they rely on each other is something truly special. There are more people within this story, but I want to focus on these two. I will say that I enjoyed Meg and her meaning to Otis. I also cried anytime Mason was brought up. You need to meet this bunch for yourself.

As for the things we see in Phantom Limbs, we see loss, grief, love, ambition, forgiveness, determination, hope, depression and phantom limbs, both physical and metaphorical. I love all of these things and how they are brought about. If you asked me what exactly this novel was about I would simply say that it's about healing and rediscovering life. Yeah, that sounds about right.

I will end this by saying that you need this book in your life. Phantom Limbs comes out on September 13, 2016 and with a different cover than the one you see in this post. For more information, as well as purchase links, you can visit the author's website right here. I really do hope you pick this one up because it deserves so much love and attention. If you can't stand the wait, there is a giveaway hosted by Ya Books Central, but it closes in 8 days so hurry up and enter here! I'm open to any conversation about this book or otherwise so don't be afraid to leave a comment.
Xoxo,
Gabriella

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Part One Wrap-Up

Armchair BEA 2017 Day Two

Debut Author Bash 2017: Kate Hart