Aftermath ARC Review

Aftermath by Clara Kensie
5 Stars

When I read the synopsis for Aftermath I knew I had to read it. To the best of my memory this is the first book I've read that has to do with being taken, surviving, and trying to return to normal. And to think that Clara has held this story in her mind since she was twelve years old just amazes me. I'm not going to lie and say this is an easy book to read because of it's subject matter, but it is worth the read if you're up for it.

Our main character, Charlotte, has been held by her captor for almost 4 years just dreaming of her family being happy despite her absence. Life goes on, you know? We meet this girl who has survived these horrors and she's so strong. Sure things aren't how she thought they'd be, but she is doing her best to make the best of things and make some changes. Doing it double because some can't do it at all. When you read this beautiful book, you'll get that line and maybe even cry the way I did. Alexa, Charlotte's twin sister, is kind of rough around the edges and understandably so. At the same time it's not always so easy to understand the way she is until we're finally shown why. Clara really did an amazing job with these two girls. To be honest, I was kind of expecting the twins to well be like the twins that Charlotte originally describes despite all the time that had passed. I'm so incredibly glad I was wrong.

Lastly, I want to talk about the detail Clara uses. I mean some parts made me sick to think about, but this story wouldn't be the same without them. The horrors are what make the journey through the aftermath so meaningful. That attic broke my heart. The hope inside Charlotte, her perseverance, kept me along for the ride. Honestly, I feel like we need more books like this one. It showcases real dangers that maybe we don't think about enough even though they're there all the time.

I highly recommend grabbing a copy of Aftermath for yourself. It isn't long and somehow it still packs quite the punch. Aftermath by Clara Kensie is out now and if you'd like to discuss it we totally can. Just leave a comment! You can also tweet Clara about it here. I do hope you'll give this one a chance. I'm so incredibly glad that I did. Thank you Clara, for sending me a copy.
Xoxo,
Gabriella

Comments

  1. That cover looks so gorgeous! And the plot, wow, it sounds so intense and like it'll pack a punch! So happy you enjoyed it, I'll have to look into reading it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, you definitely should. I hope to hear your thoughts if you do. (:

      Delete
  2. I just finished this novel. It was phenomenal! Will be highly recommending it to everyone! Liza Wiemer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't it though? Ugh I still can't get over it. SO GOOD.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Part One Wrap-Up

Armchair BEA 2017 Day Two

Debut Author Bash 2017: Kate Hart