This Is Not the End Review

This Is Not the End by Chandler Baker
5 Stars

I want to thank Cassie McGinty from Disney Publishing Worldwide for sending me a finished copy for review. I am so incredibly grateful for this opportunity. I initially showed interest in This Is Not the End because of the idea that you can bring someone back from the dead. It got me to thinking about if I would use that opportunity if it were given to me. It's really interesting to look inside yourself and question such things.

In This Is Not the End our main character, Lake, will get to resurrect one person on her eighteenth birthday like everyone else as stated by the law. Her birthday is looming and she has already promised her resurrection to someone when an accident takes away two of the most important people in her life. Now she's faced with possibly breaking her promise and the pressure added by others.

When I went in and first learned about the very person she promised to resurrect I was internally shouting NO. I was not a fan at all. I didn't know who I would choose if I were in Lake's shoes, but I certainly knew who I would not choose. The entire book is surrounding this big decision and while it's strictly her decision, a friend comes along for the ride. He goes by Ringo and I love him. He didn't try and pressure her despite his own feelings towards the process of resurrection. But instead was more of a sounding board for Lake when no one else was. I appreciated that. I feel like everyone should have that one person that just kind of listens.

I won't spoil who she chose. Or even who she promised to choose years ago, but I will say that I hated this person. Yet at the end of the novel I gained a tad more understanding and found myself warming up to this person. I really like how Chandler didn't force this change on me. It felt more organic because it does not really excuse the previous behavior and it is still completely acceptable to still dislike this character. I personally don't anymore and I'm proud of the steps that were taken.

Overall this story is very much character driven in my mind. It's a very internal choice and while there is kind of an adventure involved, it is still Lake's journey. I highly recommend giving this a go because it kind of makes you think. Would you resurrect someone if you could? Who would you choose? Do you think they'd be okay with it? Let's talk about it in the comments. Don't forget to order your copy now and check out Chandler Baker on Twitter. Happy reading!
Xoxo,
Gabriella

Comments

  1. OH! This sounds like an awesome read! I'm not sure I would resurrect anyone... I'm a big believer in the whole "when it's your time, it's your time." But I definitely want to check this out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I would either. I guess you really don't know until the moment. But it definitely intriguing to say the least.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Part One Wrap-Up

Armchair BEA 2017 Day Two

Debut Author Bash 2017: Kate Hart